Thursday, May 12, 2016

La Tierra

Reaching down, I grasp a handful of this earth - this Costarricense earth. Meanwhile, I am more and more conscious of my own heartbeat. Surely, two things of equal importance occur simultaneously both within and without.

As the grains of this earth slip silently between my fingers and fall back to their place, I can't help but ponder the enormity of this world. I cannot help but give thought to the diversity represented therein. The granules of dirt that compile this enormous, twirling sphere sustain and support millennia of life, and have for some time. I weigh the thoughts toward gravity and the endless process of life and death, and, after a deep breath both in and out, I settle on the simple notion that my life is a gift. Indeed, all life is a gift.

As my heart continues to keep pace in my chest without my consent, I'm immediately mindful of the fragility of our own existence. What a brief breath of brevity we're given, yet what is it that we have done to deserve it? I smile and nod upward, signifying in the same single motion my ignorance to the reason but also my gratitude for it all the same.

This earth - this Costarricense earth upon which I've tread in recent weeks and months - is my home. There exists a home in another place, another long-off place. A place where family and friends gather to commune, to share, to love, and to speak a language that is my own; however, I am not there. I am here.

Time passes, and I see the changes in my own life and in the lives of those around me. It is not so different, despite what my own previous premonitions might have led me to suspect. This earth and its people love, too. They laugh, too. They smile, they cry, they feel, and they try.

I shed a thin layer of my spirit and embrace this earth - this Costarricense earth. Although I know nothing of what the future may hold, I breathe in this air and I feel this earth, and somehow the knowledge of good takes root in my soul.

Today, I am home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment